Uniquely Yours Allen TX
Michael's Arts Crafts
1751 North Central Expressway
Art & Frame Depot
8000 Coit Rd Ste 300
Asel Art Supply Inc
1915 N Central Expy, Ste 450
Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store
700 Alma Dr
Art & Frame Warehouse
1301 Custer Rd Ste 210
Art A Rama
1610 J Ave
Poster Art & Frame
3100 Independence Pkwy
Art & Frame Expo
1721 N Central Expy
2220 Coit Rd
801 W 15th St, Ste A
Make this reversible patchwork sunhat uniquely yours with fabrics that remind you of your favorite vacation spot. Use ocean-themed cloth if you love the beach or find rugged mountain prints to recall scenic hikes. The featured hat uses classic American prints with a splash of nautically-themed fabrics from Moda designers, Minick & Simpson, evoking summers in the Hamptons.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Sunhat pattern, such as Vogue Patterns 7600, Hat B (modified)
- Coordinating fabric pieces that total the yardage indicated on the pattern envelope
- Matching lining fabric that totals the yardage indicated on the pattern envelope
- Mediumweight fusible interfacing (according to the yardage indicated on the pattern envelope)
- Matching all-purpose thread
- Monofilament thread (optional)
- Matching grosgrain ribbon (optional)
Depending on the pattern you choose to use, make note of the amount of fabric you need. If the hat is meant to be made out of one fabric, be sure to measure 1/2 the fabric yardage of both the patchwork piecing and lining fabric. If the hat is designed to be reversible, use the single-side yardage measurement for both the patchwork piecing and the lining fabric.
Cut strips from fabric pieces, varying the widths from 2∗ to 4∗ (or more or less if desired).
Use 1/4∗ seam allowances to piece the strips in an alternating fashion, varying the patterns and widths accordingly (1). The final piece of patchwork fabric should be equal to or slightly larger than the needed yardage indicated on the pattern envelope.
Once the patchwork piece is assembled, press and re-cut strips into various widths again. Rearrange the strips into a new patchwork design (2). Repeat until the desired effect is achieved.
Using the pattern instructions, cut one side of the hat (one crown and one brim piece) out of the final patchwork fabric piece. Cut the opposite side (one crow and one brim piece) out of lining fabric and the corresponding interfacing pieces.
Assemble and stitch the hat according to pattern instructions, so that one side is patchwork and the reverse side is the lining.
WAYS TO MAKE IT YOU
- Add ribbon to the lining crown for a feminine touch.
- Instead of using patchwork, choose one print for the brim and a coordinating print for the crown to create visual interest.
- Stitch a sunhat especially for an upcoming vacation. If you're planning to visit Hawaii, find a beautiful hibiscus-print fabric. Going to Mexico? Find a fun fabric with margaritas or palm trees. There's nothing better than stitching a unique accessory for a special trip.
- Stitch a single seam around the lower edge of the brim using monofilament thread. This will give the hat shape and define the brim edge without a visible seamline.
- Play with different weights of interfacing to achieve different looks. If you want the hat to be carefree and floppy, choose light- to mediumweight interfacing. If you want the brim to be more rigid a...
Click here to read the rest of the article from Sew News